Monday 1 October 2007

S.N.O. elements


Hi there from Mildura.
It seems uncharacteristically unorganised of me to have left this so late, but today I finally managed to make up a box of elements for the second room of the I.T. exhibition at S.N.O., which opens this Friday. In the box is a mixture of elements that I think have some kind of interest/relevance.

Items include spray can lids, containers, boxes, a broken end of a measuring tape, a finished roll of masking tape, metal rulers, sandpaper, a dismembered part of an old sculpture and other recycled painted elements. NOTE: Included is also a plastic bottle top that Masato painted for the Ocular Lab installation (Jan 07) which instead of making it's way into the work, ended up in my posession...time to fold that element back in!
In collecting these items, I was hoping to perhaps open up the I.T. range of ephemera a little - in doing so attempt to attribute more emphasis on production, rather than finished formal values. For the collaborative panel painting, I have collected three fresco boards, and applied differing media to them. Intuitive gestures. Nothing more. There is however a link between the sculptural materials and the panels - in the media and the making.

Using the post meant that I had to keep the selected items fairly small and light. Perhaps those in Sydney can focus attention on larger elements, and bring all of the materials together at the end?
I'll wrap all these up and Express Post it this afternoon. Should be there tomorrow.
Apologies for making anybody nervous...the best I.T. projects have happened quickly anyway!


JA

No comments: